This could be mean more than just dry scalp it may be dandruff; a condition often caused by stress, poor diet, dry skin, oily skin and too many styling products. According to the Mayo clinic ‘the real culprit may be a fat-eating, yeast-like fungus called malassezia, formerly known as pityrosporum.
Malassezia lives on the scalps of most healthy adults without causing problems. But sometimes it grows out of control, feeding on the oils secreted by your hair follicles and causing irritation that leads to increased cell turnover.’
Did you know that men suffer more from dandruff than women? Researchers believe hormones play a role plus men have larger sebaceous glands than the opposite sex.
The good news is that dandruff is manageable; with the help of daily shampooing made from botanicals, anti-oxidants and vitamin enriched products will assure control over the troublesome condition.
Some ingredients to look for are;
- Tea tree oil (antiseptic)
- Zinc Pyrithione (anti-fungal & anti-bacterial)
- RosemarySalicylic Acid (helps to eliminate scale)
- Lavender (promotes hair growth)
- Aloe Vera Gel ( restores your hair’s natural ph balance)
When buying treatment shampoos be label wary of products made with sulfate, DEA, waxes and chemicals but opt for the most natural active ingredients available.
Besides the protocol of daily washing and conditioning your hair, include lifestyle changes like;
- Manage Stress (relax, walk, hike do Pilates)
- Eat a healthy diet with essential fatty acids, vitamins, especially zinc.
- Sunshine, vitamin D is good for your dandruff however too much sun without sunscreen is not (use caution).
- Avoid hot showers
- Use a water filter to avoid chlorine
By making simple changes and using products with healthier ingredients your scalp will feel refreshed and you will be renewed!
Shiva Laboratory offers 5 different hair and scalp restorative shampoos that effectively diminishes flakes and soothes the scalp with organically grown botanicals, vitamins, anti-oxidants, amino- acids and sunscreen.